Responses to Human Trafficking in Bangladesh, India, Nepal and Sri Lanka
Apr 13 2011
Download right click "save as"
The United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime, Regional Office for South Asia, (UNODC ROSA) and the UN Women, South Asia signed a Memorandum of Understanding, whereby they committed to strengthen the existing cooperation in dealing with the organized crime of human trafficking in the SouthAsian countries of Bangladesh, Bhutan, India, Nepal, Maledives and Sri Lanka. The Protocol seeks to prevent trafficking in persons, protect victims of trafficking and promote cooperating among State Parties in order to meet these objectives. Within South Asia, the legal regime is diverse, and the SAARC Convention on Preventing and Combating Trafficking in Women and Children for Prostitution, 2002, represents a need and political commitment from countries in the SAARC region. Bangladesh, India, Nepal and Sri Lanka have all taken steps in the right direction to combat human trafficking; however, there is a need to look closely at country specific laws to understand where the gaps lie. It is in the light of this, that a Legal and Policy Review of Repsonses to Human Trafficking has been taken up. This Report looks at the law and policy, especially in the context of the Protocol, supplementing work already available in different studies.
- US State Department Trafficking in Persons Report 2013: Relevant International Conventions and Closing Material
- US State Department Trafficking in Persons Report 2013: Country Narratives D-I
- US State Department Trafficking in Persons Report 2013: Country Narratives N-S
- US State Department Trafficking in Persons Report 2013: Introductory Material
- US State Department Trafficking in Persons Report 2013: Country Narratives A-C
- Manpower Group Case Study
- Report of the Special Rapporteur on trafficking in persons, especially women and children, Joy Ngozi Ezeilo
- Policy and legislative recommendations towards the effective implementation of the non-punishment provision with regard to victims of trafficking
- European Commission The statistical report on trafficking in human beings 2013
- Russian Union of Journalists, OSCE Manual on Reporting on Human Trafficking
- La Strada: Findings and Results of the European Action for Compensation for Trafficked Persons
- The Protection Project: 100 Best Practices in Combating Trafficking in Persons