ILO Brochure Operational Indicators
Jul 12 2010
Download right click "save as"
Four sets of operational indicators of trafficking (adults and children for labour and sexual exploitation) resulting from a joint European Commission-ILO project. The Delphi methodology used to reach a consensus on these lists is presented in the brochure. This paper presents four lists of operational indicators of trafficking (respectively for adults and children in labour and sexual exploitation) which can be used to assess the situation of a potential victim of trafficking with respect to each of the six main elements of the definition of trafficking in human beings, as found in the Palermo Protocol : deceptive recruitment (including transfer and transport), coercive recruitment, recruitment by abuse of vulnerability, exploitation, coercion at destination and abuse of vulnerability at destination. These lists of indicators could become the reference tools for researchers and institutions in charge of data collection of trafficking in human beings in their country. This result was obtained through a participatory process among experts from the European Union who participated in a two-round survey. The Delphi methodology, described in detail in the brochure, allowed the experts to express twice their opinion and expertise, and to react on the opinions of the others. This research was implemented in 2008 in the context of a joint European Commission-ILO project, under the supervision of a steering committee composed of experts from the European Commission, International Labour Office, IOM, University of Tilburg, United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC) and the European Union Agency for Fundamental Rights (FRA). More information about human trafficking on the website of ILO.
- Report of the Special Rapporteur on trafficking in persons, especially women and children, Joy Ngozi Ezeilo
- La Strada: Findings and Results of the European Action for Compensation for Trafficked Persons
- The Protection Project: 100 Best Practices in Combating Trafficking in Persons
- ILO Special Action Programme to combat forced labour January 2013 Newsletter
- Travail non protégé, exploitation invisible: la traite à des fins de servitude domestique
- Ewa'a: Annual Book 2011 (English)
- Ewa'a: Annual Book 2011 (Arabic)
- La Strada Guidance on representing trafficked persons in compensation claims
- UNODC Issue Paper: Abuse of a Position of Vulnerability and other "Means" Within the Definition of Trafficking in Persons (2012)
- IOM Understanding and Counteracting Trafficking
- UNODC_Strategy on Human Trafficking and Migrant Smuggling - 2012
- CSO_Annual Report 2009 - 2010